Thursday, May 19, 2011

As we go on, we remember . . .

One year ago today, B. graduated from dental school.

We spent the next three chaotic days packing up everything we owned into a 20-foot long U-haul and drove the six hours south to Tennessee so B. could start his residency.

Since it's once again graduation weekend, that means dental wives everywhere are crying tears of relief, tears of joy, tears of stress, tears of sadness, tears for the unknown, etc. And quite possibly all simultaneously.

Don't worry girls, it's going to be okay.

One year later, it kind of feels like it was all a dream. In fact, I just hung up the phone with my bff L. and we couldn't believe it has really been an entire year since the boys threw their hats into the air and officially became dentists.

It feels like just yesterday was my last night in Richmond and I was sitting on our outside walkway steps (because all our furniture was packed up and there was nowhere to sit indoors) saying goodbye to another dear friend. Just yesterday that I was on a weekend shopping trip with the girls. Just yesterday that I sat in my neighbors house with 20 other girls eating junk food and watching The Bachelor.

It definitely wasn't yesterday though because even though residency years have begun, I'm far away from anything resembling dental school days.

But as much as I sometimes wish I could rewind to those days, I know there is a time and place for everything.

I met a girl last year who, even though her own husband had long been graduated from dental school, still wasn't "over" her dental school years. In fact, she was still semi-obsessed with everything about it.

"Weird," I thought more than once during the course of our conversation.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the dental school days. I probably wasn't as immersed in the whole experience as some of the girls, but I still cherished it. But just like high school there comes a time when you just have to get over it and move on.

Love the memories, but make new ones.

You follow?

So hopefully in three more years when B. finally graduates (again), I'll be able to look back with the same perspective and tell myself not to worry because it's going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment